By Melvin E. Page
The so much exhaustive reference paintings on hand in this serious topic in global heritage, concentrating on the politics, economic climate, tradition, and society of either colonizers and colonized.
• six hundred entries protecting ideologies, religions, conception, geography, imperial countries, colonies, colonized areas, ethnic teams, contributors, and treaties
• Contributions from a world staff of educational specialists in historical past, political technology, economics, sociology, and different social sciences
• a set of records representing each one imperial energy in addition to fundamental resources in relation to a number of empires and components of the realm to supply a deeper knowing of the methods of colonialism, which encompassed nearly the complete globe
• wide chronologies of varied imperial empires (Austro-Hungarian, Belgian, British, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, eastern, Ottoman, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Russian, and usa) supply context for the varied entries
Read or Download Colonialism: An International Social, Cultural, and Political Encyclopedia PDF
Best encyclopedia books
This quantity positive aspects greater than 250 ready-to-use energy provide and battery charger circuit designs that signify the newest engineering practices. Rudolf F. Graf provides a move portion of glossy circuits protecting the full variety of energy provides, in addition to battery fees compatible to be used with batteries of assorted voltages and chemistries.
Энциклопедия американских отраслей промышленности (Encyclopedia of yank Industries -- EAI) является главным деловым справочным инструментом, который предоставляет детальную, исчерпывающую информацию относительно широкого диапазона отраслей промышленности в каждой области американского бизнеса. Первый том дает раздельный обзор 459 обрабатывающих производств.
This paintings offers quick entry to centred info on themes of Immunotoxicology not just for scientists and people facing laboratory facets but in addition for academics and complicated scholars. Over 2 hundred contributing authors - together with the various world's most sensible experts - have contributed complete essays on all appropriate issues, supplemented by means of key-phrase definitions of similar phrases.
- Encyclopedia of Optimization
- Batteries for Sustainability: Selected Entries from the Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology
- 2010 Britannica Book of the Year
- Encyclopedia of Phenomenology
- The Encyclopedia of Archeology
- Encyclopedia of Stress, Three-Volume Set, 2nd ed
Extra resources for Colonialism: An International Social, Cultural, and Political Encyclopedia
Traders acting on behalf of this elite bought slaves at markets in the interior. Under colonial rule, Africans were legally compelled to work. They could become farmers in the colonial economy or hire themselves out as laborers to Portuguese concerns, the most successful of which were coffee plantations in the Kongo area. The Ovimbundu of central Angola had to seek employment on the coffee plantations, since their home area could not sustain their large population. Those Kongo who did not toil as farm laborers sought work in the Belgian Congo.
Second, there was the phase that saw the conversion of the settled colonies into states and dominions in Canada. Third, there was the period from the Irish home rule movement culminating in 1922 through to the decolonization of Asia and Africa, which followed World War II. Writers and activists such as Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, and Simón Bolívar helped inspire this anticolonialism. These individuals had long-lasting influences even though, in the case of Jefferson, the United States itself became a colonial power at the close of the nineteenth century.
In January 1895, Italian troops crossed the Mareb River into Ethiopia. Fearing further intrusion, Menelik called for a national mobilization on September 17. In early 1896, the Italian and Ethiopian forces met near the town of Adwa. Italian sources estimated there were 50,000 to 100,000 guns at Ethiopia’s disposal, backed up with cannons, machine guns, and heavy artillery. On March 1, Italian commanders nevertheless sent 14,500 troops into battle against the well-armed Ethiopian army of about 100,000 men.