By Indermit S. Gill, Truman G. Packard, Juan Yermo
Empirical research of 2 a long time of pioneering pension and social protection reform in Latin the United States and the Caribbean exhibits that a lot has been accomplished, yet that serious demanding situations stay. In tackling the incomplete schedule, greatly may be discovered from the reform adventure of nations within the area. holding the Promise, produced via the executive economist’s place of work within the Latin the United States and Caribbean zone on the global financial institution, evaluates coverage reforms in twelve nations, issues to successes and shortcomings, and proposes priorities and strategies for destiny reform. The authors argue that poverty in previous age could be avoided through relentless efforts to increase insurance to broader segments of society, and through encouraging own rate reductions.
Read or Download Keeping the Promise of Social Security in Latin America (Latin American Development Forum) PDF
Best central america books
“I drink, I harm myself and the folks round me, after which I write. ” Brett is in imperative the US, clear of her husband, whilst she starts a love affair together with his good friend, Eduard. Tragedy and comedy are correctly joined on the hip during this loosely autobiographical e-book approximately infidelity, ingesting, and the suspending of repercussions lower than the solar.
This multi-million-selling net ebook remains to be the final word guide for beginners and specialists alike. Written in simple English, it covers every little thing from getting on-line for the 1st time to newsfeeds, net telephony and complex assistance and methods bound to flip informal surfers into web specialists. This absolutely revised consultant covers all of the most recent websites and crazes, together with Skype, running a blog, myspace and different social networks and on-line video.
Occupied continually for 1,500 years, Tikal used to be crucial demographic, financial, administrative, and formality heart of its zone. the gathering of fabrics recovered at Tikal is the biggest and so much different identified from the Lowlands. This publication presents a tremendous physique of fundamental info. The artifacts, represented by way of such uncooked fabrics as chert and shell are categorised by way of variety, quantity, , attainable historic use, shape, fabric, dimension, and such secondary differences as ornament and remodeling, in addition to via spatial distribution, prevalence within the a variety of varieties of constitution teams, restoration context, and date.
- Costa Rica: A Global Studies Handbook
- Feeling the Heat: The Politics of Climate Policy in Rapidly Industrializing Countries
- Poverty, Inequality, and Policy in Latin America (CESifo Seminar Series)
- Andean journeys: migration, ethnogenesis, and the state in colonial Quito
- Adventure Guide Honduras & The Bay Islands
Extra info for Keeping the Promise of Social Security in Latin America (Latin American Development Forum)
At the other extreme there is a fully contestable market where different providers compete by offering diverse products. Latin American countries will need to assess which is the best solution for them, and we do not propose countryspecific solutions in this volume. The choice will depend largely on the extent to which other financial institutions are appropriately regulated and supervised and the population’s ability to make difficult choices. With respect to risk management, more consideration should be given to the value of international diversification of pension fund portfolios, the pros and cons of worker choice, and improving benefit options at retirement.
5. Even in Chile, a country with one of the highest participation rates, the government considers that low participation in the private pension system will keep effective replacement rates low and thus put mounting pressures on the minimumincome plan for retirees. 6. In Argentina, for example, a draft law that would allow workers to switch between the public and the private branches of the pension system was passed in 2002 in the Lower House with only one vote against and one abstention. In Peru in late 2002 some articles proposed during the rewriting of the constitution would have allowed affiliates to the funded system to return to the public PAYG system and to lower the retirement age from 65 to 60 years.
5 percent. In Uruguay poorer workers can split their 15 percent mandatory contribution equally between the PAYG and the funded system. The figures reported assume that the total contribution is made to the funded system. Figures for Chile are based on the average earnings for workers who contributed to the system in December 2002. ) Sources: Devesa-Carpio and Vidal-Meliá (2002) and Whitehouse (2001). payroll contributions for social insurance programs, including the pension system. In contrast, Mexico established a centralized record-keeping and collection system with the sole purpose of handling the flows of information and funds in the new pension system.