By Lonely Planet, Lucas Vidgen, Daniel C Schechter
Lonely Planet: The world's best go back and forth advisor publisher
Lonely Planet Guatemala is your passport to all of the such a lot appropriate and updated recommendation on what to work out, what to bypass, and what hidden discoveries look ahead to you. discover the road markets of Chichicastenango, climb the radiant Maya ruins of Tikal or dip your feet within the airy Lago de Atitlan; all along with your depended on shuttle better half. Get to the center of Guatemala and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet's Guatemala shuttle Guide:
- Color maps and pictures all through
- Highlights and itineraries express you the best method to tailor your journey on your personal own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips prevent time and cash, and assist you get round like a neighborhood, warding off crowds and hassle spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - together with hours of operation, cellphone numbers, web content, transit advice, and costs
- Honest studies for all budgets - together with consuming, drowsing, sight-seeing, going out, buying, and hidden gemstones that almost all guidebooks pass over
- Cultural insights offer you a richer and extra lucrative go back and forth event - together with historical past, artwork, literature, Maya history, politics, landscapes, flora and fauna, and etiquette
- Over 46 maps
- Useful features - together with Maya Ruins making plans function, Off the crushed music Itinerary and Illustrated Map of Tikal
- Coverage of Antigua, Chichicastenango and different highland cities, Lago de Atitlan, Grutas de Lanquin, Semuc Champey, Tikal and different Maya ruins of El Peten, Pacific shores, Guatemala urban and extra
The ideal selection: Lonely Planet Guatemala, our such a lot complete advisor to Guatemala, is ideal for these making plans to either discover the head points of interest and take the line much less traveled.
- Looking for extra huge assurance? try out Lonely Planet's Central the USA on a Shoestring consultant.
Authors: Written and researched through Lonely Planet, Lucas Vidgen and Daniel C Schechter.
About Lonely Planet: began in 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's prime go back and forth consultant writer with guidebooks to each vacation spot on this planet, in addition to an award-winning site, a set of cellular and electronic shuttle items, and a devoted traveller group. Lonely Planet's project is to allow curious tourists to event the area and to actually get to the center of the areas they locate themselves in.
TripAdvisor tourists' selection Awards 2012 and 2013 winner in favourite shuttle consultant category
'Lonely Planet courses are, with ease, like no other.' - New York Times
'Lonely Planet. it really is on everyone's bookshelves; it is in each traveller's fingers. it is on cell phones. it is on the net. it really is all over the place, and it really is telling complete generations of individuals how one can trip the world.' - Fairfax Media (Australia)
Read or Download Lonely Planet Guatemala PDF
Best central america books
“I drink, I damage myself and the folks round me, after which I write. ” Brett is in imperative the USA, clear of her husband, whilst she starts off a love affair along with his pal, Eduard. Tragedy and comedy are adequately joined on the hip during this loosely autobiographical e-book approximately infidelity, ingesting, and the suspending of repercussions lower than the sunlight.
This multi-million-selling net booklet continues to be the final word guide for newbies and specialists alike. Written in undeniable English, it covers every little thing from getting on-line for the 1st time to newsfeeds, net telephony and complex assistance and tips certain to flip informal surfers into internet experts. This absolutely revised advisor covers the entire most up-to-date websites and crazes, together with Skype, running a blog, myspace and different social networks and on-line video.
Occupied regularly for 1,500 years, Tikal used to be crucial demographic, fiscal, administrative, and formality heart of its quarter. the gathering of fabrics recovered at Tikal is the most important and such a lot varied recognized from the Lowlands. This booklet offers a big physique of basic facts. The artifacts, represented by way of such uncooked fabrics as chert and shell are categorized by way of kind, quantity, , attainable old use, shape, fabric, dimension, and such secondary alterations as ornament and transforming, in addition to via spatial distribution, incidence within the numerous forms of constitution teams, restoration context, and date.
- Memory, Oblivion, and Jewish Culture in Latin America
- The Maya and Teotihuacan: Reinterpreting Early Classic Interaction (The Linda Schele Series in Maya and Pre-Columbian Studies)
- Civil-Military Relations in Latin America: New Analytical Perspectives
- Panama: Politics and Economics (Politics and Economics of Latin America)
- Do Options Exist?: The Reform of Pension and Health Care Systems in Latin America (Pitt Latin Amercian Studies)
Additional info for Lonely Planet Guatemala
But over time what I really came to admire was the Guatemalan spirit, the idea that tragedies happen – wars, earthquakes, floods and hurricanes – but the simple things abide. A meal with the family, a joke with some friends – as crazy as everything else gets, these are the things to treasure. See authors for much more. Guatemala’s Top 15 Antigua RICHARD CUMMINS/GETTY IMAGES © 1 With mammoth volcanic peaks and coffee-covered slopes as a backdrop for the scattered remnants of Spanish occupation, the former capital of Guatemala Click here makes an appealing setting for learning Spanish, and a globally varied population come here to study at such quality institutes as Escuela de Español San José el Viejo Click here .
Little-visited sites may have no food or water available. � Guided tours to many sites are usually available from nearby towns, but many (but not all) are accessible independently. Ancient Maya Sites REGION SITE DESCRIPTION HIGHLIGHTS LOCATION TRANSPORTATION El Petén Tikal (Click here) Most famous of all Guatemalan Maya sites Towering temples, including the 65m-high Templo IV 60km northeast of Flores public transport or tour El Petén El Mirador (Click here) Late Preclassic site with largest cluster of buildings in Maya world La Danta, the largest Maya pyramid yet discovered 7km south of Mexican border 82km by bus plus two days walking (or direct helicopter) El Petén San Bartolo (Click here) Over 100 structures in 1 sq km ‘discovered’ in 2003 after looters began sacking the site Features one of the best-preserved Maya murals with a depiction of the creation myth from the Popol Vuh Approximately 40km northeast of Uaxactún Tours from Uaxactún or Flores El Petén Piedras Negras (Click here) One of Guatemala’s most extensive, least-accessible sites Impressive carvings and a sizable acropolis complex 40km downstream from Yaxhilán Tours from Flores or Bethel El Petén La Blanca (Click here) Late Classic Period trading center with impressively preserved walls On the Río Mopan near the Belize border Tours from Flores or Melchor de Mencos.
Fiesta de San José Petén On the night of the 31st a very curious ceremony takes place, as one of three skulls (thought to be of the village’s founding fathers) is removed from the town church and paraded through this small town. November Día de Todos los Santos All Saints’ Day (November 1) is celebrated with particular rigor in Santiago Sacatepéquez and Sumpango (Click here), where celebrations include the flying of huge, technicolor kites. Todos Santos Cuchumatán On All Saints’ Day, this tiny highlands town hosts drunken horse races (see the boxed text, Click here) through the main streets of town.