By Steven Laureys, Giulio Tononi
Figuring out recognition is the foremost unsolved challenge in biology. One more and more vital approach to learning awareness is to check problems of realization, e.g. mind harm and sickness states resulting in vegetative states, coma, minimally unsleeping states, and so forth. a lot of those reviews are greatly within the public eye as a result of their dating to controversies approximately coma sufferers (e.g. Terry Schiavo case within the US recently), and the connection to at least one of the main philosophical, sociological, political, and non secular questions of humankind.
This is the 1st ebook to summarize our present figuring out of the neuroanatomical and sensible underpinnings of human recognition via emphasizing a lesional technique provided through the research of neurological sufferers. the chosen participants are all striking authors and undisputed leaders of their box.
- the 1st significant ebook at the Neurology of attention, i.e. at the learn of mind damages and sickness states that bring about various degrees of disturbances in human awareness (vegetative, coma, minimally wakeful states, etc)
- dependent, illustrated, and priced to be appealing to a large industry, together with scholars in Neuroscience, Neurology, Psychology, Psychiatry etc
- Articles from the most researchers within the box, together with Christof Koch, Marcus Raichle, Allan Hobson, Nicholas Schiff, Joseph Fins, Michael Gazzaniga, Lionel Naccache
- targeted and accomplished in its focus
- of serious curiosity within the moral dialogue of coma situations, encompasses a bankruptcy at the ethics by means of JJ Fins
- of serious curiosity to anyone puzzling over awareness as one of many significant philosophical, sociological, political, and spiritual questions of our time
Read or Download The Neurology of Consciousness: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuropathology PDF
Similar neuroscience books
Experimental philosophy is a brand new move that seeks to come the self-discipline of philosophy to a spotlight on questions on how humans truly imagine and consider. Departing from a long-standing culture, experimental philosophers exit and behavior systematic experiments to arrive a greater figuring out of people's usual intuitions approximately philosophically major questions.
The fellow Who Mistook His spouse for a Hat brings jointly twenty-four of Oliver Sacks’ so much interesting and loved case stories. The sufferers in those pages are faced with nearly inconceivably unusual neurological problems; in Sacks’ telling, their tales are a profound testomony to the adaptability of the human mind and the resilience of the human spirit.
A complete, multidisciplinary evaluation, Neural Plasticity and reminiscence: From Genes to mind Imaging presents an in-depth, up to date research of the research of the neurobiology of reminiscence. best experts percentage their medical adventure within the box, protecting a variety of themes the place molecular, genetic, behavioral, and mind imaging strategies were used to enquire how mobile and mind circuits can be transformed via adventure.
Encephalitis Lethargica: in the course of and After the Epidemic is reminiscent of a detective novel a couple of significant clinical secret that is still unsolved. through the Twenties and Nineteen Thirties a wierd, very polymorphic affected a lot of the area even supposing no longer while in all places and positively now not with a similar indicators.
- MEG: An Introduction to Methods
- Non-Neuronal Mechanisms of Brain Damage and Repair After Stroke
- Case Files Neuroscience (2nd Edition)
- Stronger After Stroke: Your Roadmap to Recovery
- Cannabinoids in Health and Disease
- Foundations of Cellular Neurophysiology (Bradford Books)
Additional resources for The Neurology of Consciousness: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuropathology
The interested reader is referred to Lezak and colleagues (2004) and Spreen and Strauss (1998) for details of individual tests. Multidimensional tests, such as the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE), may be subjected to factor analysis. This type of analysis identiﬁes groupings of test items that correlate with each other and may well assess aspects of the same domain. In this way, the range of domains assessed by such a test may be identiﬁed. COGNITIVE DOMAINS AND NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL TESTS Prerequisites for Meaningful Testing Cognitive Domains Cognitive domains are constructs (intellectual conceptualizations to explain observed phenomena, such as gravity) invoked to provide a coherent framework for analysis and testing of cognitive functions.
84. Brown E, Khan D, Nejtek V: The psychiatric side effects of corticosteroids. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 1999; 83:495503. 85. Inouye S: Prevention of delirium in hospitalized older patients: risk factors and targeted intervention strategies. Ann Med 2000; 32:257-263. 86. Lawson W, Waldman I, Weinberger D: Schizophrenic dementia. Clinical and computed axial tomography correlates. J Nerv Ment Dis 1988; 176:207-212. 19 87. Shulman K: Disinhibition syndromes, secondary mania and bipolar disorder in old age.
72. Graybiel A, Canales J: The neurobiology of repetitive behaviors: clues to the neurobiology of Tourette syndrome. In Cohen D, Goetz C, Jankovic J, eds: Tourette Syndrome. Philadelphia: Williams & Wilkins, 2001, pp 123-131. 73. Cummings J: Anatomic and behavioral aspects of frontalsubcortical circuits. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1995; 769:1-13. 74. Walterfang M, Velakoulis D: Cortical release signs in psychiatry. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2005; 39:317-327. 75. Lhermitte F: “Utilization behaviour” and its relation to lesion of the frontal lobes.